The one-day blogging introduction training helps you make a start in the world of blogging. You’ll learn why a blog is a vital part of your business’s online presence, and how to carry out basic blogging tasks, like creating new posts and pages. You’ll find out how to write easy-to-read content, even when you don’t have much time. You’ll also learn how to build your blog’s readership and turn those readers into customers.
Prerequisites: No previous blogging knowledge required.
Introduction blogging workshops
Currently we’re not running London blogging workshops but please contact us if you are interested in onsite blogging training.
Pick your course format
Open public courses only £350
- Small class sizes. Max 8, average 4.
- Central London location.
- Arrive: 09:15. Finish: 17:00.
- Lunch and tea/coffee included.
On-site training from £600
- One-to-one or one-to-group.
- At your office or a convenient location.
- Personalised and 100% of our attention.
- Just for you or your company.
- Understanding what a blog is – we explain everything in plain English
- Deciding what to call your blog – getting this right helps your readers to engage with it
- Why blogging is important – learn the key ways in which your blog will help your business, through increased customer engagement and increased visibility on the web
- Looking at major blogging platforms – so you understand how best to use the software available (note: during the rest of the course, examples and exercises use WordPress, but if your blog runs on a different platform, you can easily adapt our instructions for its features)
- Creating posts and pages – you may already know how to do this, but we’ll help you ensure you’re using blogging software effectively
- Formatting your post – great formatting makes for easy readability, and can help your posts rank well in search engines
- Adding widgets and plugins to your blog – we’ll explain what these are, and we’ll recommend some great plugins to help you with SEO (Search Engine Optimisation)
- Changing the menu – if you need to add new pages to your blog/website’s navigation, we’ll show you how
- Understanding writing for the web – it’s different from writing for print, and you need to take that into account for effective blogging
- Coming up with great blog post ideas – so you’re never stuck staring at a blank screen
- Planning and structuring your blog posts – we’ll take you through three basic post structures that you can use again and again
- Writing a great introduction – so you can hook the reader at the start of your post
- Writing a great conclusion – so that your post feels complete, and leaves the reader satisfied
- Using tags and categories – help readers (and search engines) find your posts
- Finding the time and motivation to blog – we’ll teach you ways to solve one of the biggest struggles that busy professionals face
- Using basic SEO techniques – these help to boost your website’s Google presence, bringing more customers to your business
- Driving traffic to your blog through social media – we’ll give you specific tips for Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and LinkedIn
- Understanding calls to action – this is a crucial marketing technique that you must master in order for your blog to be fully effective
- Giving readers multiple ways to subscribe to your blog – it’s important to give readers a choice on how to engage with your content
- Answering comments and engaging with readers – a blog is a two-way medium, and you need to know how to take advantage of that
- Your next steps – plan how to make the most of what you’ve learned, once you’re back in the office
- Your personal “aha” moments – capture your best ideas, and get inspired by other attendees’ ideas
Who is this course for?
Whether you’re part of a huge brand or a small business, blogging will take your company further. You don’t need any special technical skills – and you don’t need to be a writer. We cover everything step by step, and make sure that you get a solid grounding in all the basics of blogging, both the technology and the writing side. Even if you only have a couple of hours each week to work on your company blog, we’ll help you make great use of that time.
The blogging introduction training is designed for people who are fairly new to blogging, or who want a refresher course on the basics; if you’re more experienced, you may want to consider taking our blogging intermediate training instead or as well.
Key learning outcomes
- Engage with your potential and existing customers through your blog
- Get to grips with the technology of blogging, with hands-on practice
- Learn three basic post structures and develop your writing skills
- Maximise your blog’s effectiveness, directing readers through calls to action
About the trainer
Ali Luke is a highly experienced blogger, and writes for several major sites (including ProBlogger, Copyblogger, and Daily Blog Tips). She has spoken twice at BlogWorld (now New Media Expo), a major conference for the blogging industry. She has a degree in English from Cambridge University, and an MA in Creative and Life Writing from Goldsmiths College, University of London.
Why choose us?
- We write for major blogs
- Trainer speaks at BlogWorld expo
- Trainer is For Dummies author
- London, UK and European training
- Flexibility: open-public or tailored
- Lots of happy clients (big & small)